Wednesday 26 February 2014

ONE WAY TO HANDLE CRITISM



As leaders, we need to get used to criticism, because if you are successful you will be criticized. Certain people will always find some thing to be unhappy about.
I love the story of the salesman who was getting a haircut and mentioned that he was about to take a trip to Rome, Italy.

“Rome is a terribly overrated city”, commented his barber, who was born in northern Italy. “What airline are you taking?”



The salesman told him the name of the airline and the barber responded, “What a terrible airline! Their seats are cramped, their food is bad, and their planes are always late. What hotel are you staying at?”

The salesman named the hotel, and the barber exclaimed, “Why would you stay there? That hotel is in the wrong part of town and has horrible service. You’d be better off staying home!”
“But I expect to close a big deal while I’m there,” the salesman replied. “And afterward I hope to see the pope.”

“You’ll be disappointed trying to do business in Italy,” said the barber. “And don’t count on seeing the pope. He only grants audiences to very important people.”

Three weeks later the salesman returned to the barber shop. “And how was your trip?” asked the barber.

“Wonderful!” replied the salesman. “The flight was perfect, the service at the hotel was excellent, and I made a big sale. And “ – the salesman paused for effect- “I got to meet the pope!”

“You got to meet the pope?” Finally, the barber was impressed. “Tell me what happened!”

“Well, when I approached him I bent down and kissed his ring.” “No kidding! And what did he say?” He looked down at my head and said, ‘my son, where did you ever get such a lousy haircut?’ ”

Not everyone handles criticism the same way. Some try to ignore it. Some try to defend themselves against it. Other, like the salesman, use a witty remark to put a critic in his place. But no matter what, if you are a leader, you will have to deal with criticism.

Greek philosopher, Aristotle said – “Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing. However that isn’t an option for everyone who wants to be successful as a leader".

Culled from: Leadership Gold – Lesson I learn from a lifetime of Leadership - by John Maxwell.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment